Jezzam helps you manage invoicing in Xero in a three step process:
- Export your unpaid booking data from Jezzam using the Xero report
- Import your Jezzam unpaid booking data into Xero
- Update your Jezzam booking records as invoices are paid
1. Export your unpaid booking data from Jezzam using the Xero report
- Log in to your Jezzam admin panel and go to Analytics > Reports
- Click the "Unpaid bookings by customer for import into Xero" link
- Pick a suitable date range
- If you need to use the filters to select the bookings for the invoice
- Click the "CSV" button to create the CSV file
You can import this CSV directly into Xero as is. However this will require more manual input during the Xero import process.
To save time, we recommend that you edit the CSV file to add meta data to make the import into Xero more efficient.
Open the CSV using a tool such as Microsoft Excel where the CSV file can be viewed in columns:
Add invoice numbers:
- Check in your Xero account for your next Xero invoice number. One way to to this is to log into Xero and go to Business > Invoices. Click on "New Invoice". Xero will create an new inovice with the latest invoice number. Copy the invoice number from the "Invoice #" field. Then click "Cancel" to cancel this temporary invoice.
- Use the invoice number from (i) and paste this into the "*InvoiceNumber" field for the first row in your CSV
- If you want to include any of the other rows in the CSV in the same invoice, make sure you paste the invoice number into the "*InoviceNumber" column for all rows that apply
- Now increment your inovice number by 1 and repeat steps (ii) - (iii) for each invoice number until you have added an invoice number for all rows in the CSV
TIP: You can drag the + in the bottom right of an Excel cell to copy and automatically increment the invoice number. If you hold the ctrl key and drag, this will copy the invoice number but not increment it.
Note: Any lines without a value in the *InvoiceNumber column will not be allowed to be imported into Xero
Add account code and tax information
- For each row in the CSV add a suitable code in "*AccountCode" and a tax type in "*TaxType". For Example, if you have an account number of "200 - Sales" enter 200 into the "*AccountCode" column of the CSV. If you use a Tax type of "20% (VAT on Income)" in Xero, paste "20% (VAT on Income)" in to the "*TaxType" column of the CSV on each row.
TIP: You can drag the + in the bottom right of an Excel cell to copy the account number and tax type data.
Note: The more information you edit into the CSV, the less information you will have to input in Xero. When you import your CSV into Xero (see below), you will be given to opportunity to check all these values as part of the import process before finalising your invoices.
2. Import your Jezzam unpaid booking data into Xero
Now you have edited your CSV file, you need to import this into Xero
- Log in to your Xero account. Go to the Business > Invoices
- Click the "Import" button
- Click "Browse" and select the edited csv file.
- Complete the dialog and click the "Import" button
- One imported, you can click on each draft invoice created in Xero as required.
- Check each invoice and if required enter Invoice Date and Due date
- Click "Approve"
- Use the back button in your browser to return to the report and repeat steps (f) to (h) as required for each invoice
You're invoices have been succesfully imported into Xero and you can use your normal accounting process in Xero to manage payments.
3. Update your Jezzam booking records as invoices are paid
The final step in the process is to ensure that Jezzam is kept in sync with the invoice payments you are managing in Xero.
Depending on your booking volume we recommend that you manage this process on a weekly cycle. This process involves running report in Xero of all paid invoice since you last completed this step. Then using each invoice to find the corresponding booking records in Jezzam and simply marking them as paid.
- Log in to your Xero account
- Go to Business > Invoices
- Select the "Paid" tab
- Click the "Search" button
- Click the "Search within" dropdown
- Select "Paid date"
- Enter an appropriate start and end date (for example, you want to select all the invoice that have been paid since you last ran this report up to today's date)
- The report will present you with a list of invoices
Now log into your Jezzam account and go to the Customer section. For each invoice repeat the following steps,:
- Search for the customer on the Xero invoice in the Jezzam Customer's section (for example by using the customer's first and last name)
- In the Jezzam Customer section once you have found the customer, click on their "Bookings" tab
- Find each of the unpaid bookings that are detailed in the Xero Invoice (this should be highlighted with an orange indicator)
- Click on the "Unpaid" link for each booking
- In the "Change payment method" dialog, select the appropriate payment method, add a payment date and note as required
- Click "Save & close"
- Repeat steps (k) to (n) for each booking
Repeat steps (i) to (o) for each invoice in Xero.
Your booking records are now marked as paid in Jezzam, corresponding to your paid invoices in Xero.
On your next payment cycle you can now go to step 1 Export your unpaid booking data from Jezzam using the Xero report at the beginning of this process and begin the cycle again.